Monday, October 11, 2010

National Coming Out Day


I thought about not posting this today (or any day) because I didn't want to turn anyone off of my blog for "pushing the gay agenda," but I decided I would post it for these reasons:


1. I hope you all know by now that our only agenda is equality.


2. when I started this blog I promised myself that I would be honest. I know the blogs I most enjoy reading are the ones that are open and honest and give me a peek at the vulnerable side of the writer, the life behind the blog.


and


3. It's important.


I'm sure most of you have heard about the plethora of suicides recently by gay teens who felt persecuted, embarrassed, ashamed and lonely. The point of Coming Out Day is to encourage gay, lesbian, transgender and other queer men and women to live authentically because it has been shown statistically that when people know gay people, they are far more likely to be accepting. So if more of us are open, more people will know that they know gay people and maybe eventually society as a whole will be more accepting.


Not only that, but it feels so good to be honest. I tell people all the time that coming out for me was like getting out of prison. I was finally free, breathing fresh air, living my life. Now obviously this wasn't the case for these teens who felt despair to the point of ending their lives, and that is why Stephanie and I are preparing a video for the It Gets Better Project. We hoped to have it ready today, but it's not so we'll post it as soon as it is.


For now, here's our contribution to Coming Out Day:




Now, go kiss the one YOU love!

15 comments:

  1. Lynn aka MomOctober 11, 2010

    As always Julie, your honesty in life and your compassion for others has made us proud to call you our daughter. Now, go get that milk. Love you, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best. Wife. And Mother-in-Law. Ever.

    but why is my head so big compared to yours? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, that almost made me cry! Obviously my fabulousness is all thanks to your parenting! ;)

    Foxy, it's that $13million grant you just got for KU. It made your head swell. Bwahahaha! Love you!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. And best Father-in-Law. But we already established that when he complimented me when I was 8-months pregnant and feeling MOST unattractive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you, beautiful. Good thing you're around to make us look good in photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura ListerOctober 11, 2010

    I'm so very proud to call you both my friends and have you as my family too!!!! You are a couple to be admired, because you truly have a relationship to be envied. Love you both dearly! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love you too, Laura!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julie, you inspire me, you give me hope and I still think the two of you have an unfair amount of HOTNESS between you. Bless you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking good guys! I am gald you are sharing your story about your love. Too many people spend endless amounts of time hiding who they truly are. I agree with all you wrote and I hope that the rest of world will follow soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel so lucky to have shared your story and your love. It's inspiring. <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Thank you all for the amazing response to this post!

    Andrea, so good to hear from you! And you're one to talk about hottness, buff girl! ;)

    Carla, it's so true! And I'm so SO lucky to have such an amazing and loving family!! xo

    Jen, thank you! We both feel incredibly blessed by the friendships I've developed online, especially through the SE.

    Great big giant kisses to you all! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very well said Julie. My wish is that someday soon, people will be recognized for who they are and not try to pigeonhole them into a category.

    I am honored that you have given me a glimpse into your life, and I wish you, Stephanie, Aiden, and Alice all the happiness in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i wish there didn't have to be any agenda to push in the first place! you are two wonderful, beautiful people in LOVE with each other who deserve the rights and recognitions and respect that all couples in love should have! i feel honored to know you both!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww yay for you guys--- So sweet! I think that if we could all live authentically the world would be a much happier place to be. Here's to love everlasting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just reading over some of your older blog posts (now that I've just discovered you by way of list it Tuesday!) and I think this is a great post but like Aimee said it's just a shame that it has to be an issue that needs to be raised. I can't fathom why teenagers in the 21st century should feel that they can't be honest and open about who they are and how God made them because the world is still so shut down to anyone the wrong shape, size, colour or flavour. The more I know humans sometimes, the more I love dogs!!
    Now, I'm off to read a wee bit more of your blog!
    Nicola.

    ReplyDelete